In 1850, the Great Western Railway was built through the southern part of Etobicoke Township.
The first Mimico Station opened in 1855, just north of the tracks beside Christ Church on Church Street (now Royal York Rd.). The new railway line brought many of Toronto’s wealthy to the lakeshore area where several large estates were built, the most impressive being the Fetherstonhaugh Estate at the bottom of Royal York Rd.
In 1906, when the Grand Trunk Railway brought people and supplies from Weston and beyond, it brought them to a newly created Mimico yard. The community continued to grow and in May 1917 the province of Ontario made Mimico a town. In 1997 it became part of the City of Toronto.